Sunday, October 17, 2010

It's Sunday Night

I wonder to myself, when you have the weekend off why must you wait until bedtime, Sunday night to begin cleaning the house? I know this sounds odd but it's what my husband seems to do. Now, this doesn't always happens but when he feels it IS time to clean it happens at the bedtime hour.

Now, another thing is that our house is always dirty. We live right off a main street and we have three dogs. So a must is to vacuum everyday, which I do. But do I get down and vacuum out the corners or the stairs or under furniture? No. I am a surface cleaner. I think it comes from all the years of watching my mom get up at unGodly hours to clean. Everything had to be clean at all times. Making my bed in the morning just to come back home and sleep in it always seemed ridiculous to me. Still, to this day I still won't make the bed in the morning. My husband, however, will.

So tonight is Sunday. It's 9pm. I am having surgery on Tuesday. My brother is going to take me and bring me home. I told my hub that I wanted to clean. But my doctor's orders are to stay off my feet. Now, I am not taking that literally and I know I can be ON the bad foot, but I shouldn't be walking around or pressing down on the toe (which is being operated on.) So asking my hub to help clean up the house turned into a total extreme home makeover. Not that all he is doing doesn't need to be done, I just don't think at 9 o'clock at night is the time to start working on the project.

He started in the kitchen and started throwing away gadgets and things we don't use. Then it was clearing off counters and pulling everything out. I see that most stuff on the counters ended up on the pass-thru. Which, looking at it now, seems to still be housing all the "stuff" that was on the counters. Then as he needs a potty break he starts to clean the bathroom. I tell him to take on just one project he tells me that he is (??) Now the bathroom is clean and the rugs need to be washed and a new shower curtain is up, but all the dishes are still piled up waiting to be washed.

Now as he walks out of the bathroom he notices that the book shelf is dusty. So we are now going to talk about what can and cannot be taken off, put away or thrown away on the bookshelf. I asked, "If you are not going to take each item off and throw it all away and dust the whole case, please don't start it now." He then proceeded to take everything off the bottom shelf and clean it off and rearrange it. The other 3 shelves and the top remain dusty.

It's now 10 o'clock and he sees that one side of our living room is too cluttered. As he takes everything off the tables and puts it on the couch, he throws out the two oak tv trays. Now where does the stuff go? Uh-oh. He now has back pain and realizes he is out of gas. I said that is because it's 10:30pm. This is why we don't start cleaning at bedtime. However he continues to clean his way towards the tv and puts everything from that side of the living room on the couch, or just the middle of the floor as he groans in tiredness and lower back pain.

Now a loud scream comes out and his eyeballs pop out of his head as if he may have a thyroid condition. So now it's 11pm and everything is out of place and it's worse looking than when he started.

I know the intention of well meaning is there and I know he wants it to look nice so my brother doesn't think we live in a nasty, stinky house. But it's Sunday night. Even God rested on this day. We need a week off to clean this house top to bottom. But we don't seem to see eye to eye on how to attack the mess we've made in this cracker box in the last four years.

Tomorrow, while he is still asleep, I will get up and reassemble the remains and make sure that after surgery I can come home to a clean, nice smelling and comfy area to recouperate in.

For now, it's Sunday night. Let's call it a day.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
T-town, WA, United States
I am 45, MWF with 3 dogs: Molly (My Mom's pup), Harleigh and Parker. I teach 8th grade and absolutely LOVE my job. I've been married 8 years to Ricky, whom I love with all my heart. I also like to go to movies and love the drive in! I love Netflix and reality tv (which, is truly more of an obsession.) I am on facebook so look for me! Life is changing all the time, I am just not sure if I am keeping up with the changes.